Tuesday 10 November 2009

Bite me!

Things up at Children of Hope Pre-School certainly continue to be interesting.....in the past week, Clare (the other volunteer who has been there with me) and I have been left alone with the toddlers who spent that time screaming and running into walls head-first, I have been bitten by a small child (nothing serious for those who asked if my tetanus was up to date!), and Clare had to break up a fight where one little one threw a potty over another. It's crazy, no day is the same as the previous, sometimes I just want to hide from the kids and cry, but on the whole I am actually having a pretty damn good time. One of the other volunteers who normally works in the vet clinic came up to the pre-school for a morning last week and decided that working with dogs was far easier.....and that's saying something considering there was an incident at her place of work last week when a big dog attacked a puppy!

The reason we were left alone with the smallest children is because the older ones are rehearsing in the church hall for their end of year school play, and amidst the potty-throwing chaos last week we could hear the tune of 'I Believe in Angels', which is kind of ironic when you think about it! Anyway, on Friday I actually had a chance to watch the rehearsal and, while what I am about to say may sound cheesy, it was actually pretty inspirational. Sophie, who set up the school and currently works as principal, teacher and cook, tells the audience about the school, what the children have been learning and how they all have a dream, and then the six kids who are set to graduate and go to primary school in January step forward and say what they want to be when they grow up. Of the six, there will hopefully be one policeman (that's my little Cheslyn!), a fireman, a nurse and three doctors. Children of Hope has only been open for a couple of years and African Impact has already had reports from the local primary schools that the children who go there are starting Grade One at a far higher standard than their peers. Considering how primitive the conditions up there are, the fact that the school isn't even government-registered and that Sophie and the other teacher, Ntombie, are not even trained, I think that's pretty amazing and it means those six children actually do have a real chance of achieving their dreams. I could not be more proud to be a part of that, even if it does mean being bitten every once in a while!

Since the weekend the weather here in Cape Town has been almost British, with lots of wind and rain, although it is set to improve by Thursday. The pre-school is really just a couple of shacks, and it has been cold there this week, so I can't imagine what it must be like in winter. One of the afternoon projects is doing renovation work at the schools at that township, so hopefully it won't be too bad for them next winter. On Thursday afternoon I was working at the Red Hill Pre-School chipping old paint off the walls, but most of my afternoon work has been in the library doing jigsaws, playing games and reading as part of the after school club. In some ways the library work is a lot easier than that in pre-school - almost a welcome break from shouting 'no!' all morning, but as much as I come home at lunchtime feeling shattered, filthy and sick of kids, I think it's secretly my favourite thing. However, from this week I will also be able to spend a couple of afternoons a week assisting in a medical clinic in the Masiphumele township, which should be exciting. Although I'm informed it will mostly be helping with paperwork, I will still get to wear a while coat which keeps me happy!

I am learning so much about myself here. I am absolutely not the most flexible person in the world and like a plan, which is a definite family trait. Life in Africa however, does not go to plan.....sometimes we are supposed to be doing something and it gets cancelled, I'm told I'll be working in one place and suddenly I'm assisting somewhere else. It's not easy for me to 'go with the flow', but I am actually managing pretty well and hopefully it's something I can continue to do when I get home. Hopefully I won't turn back into a scary control freak as I fly back to the UK! Anway, internet access here is pretty limited and I had better stop rambling. And as corny as it is, I am going to end this post with a quote from the school play......

I have a dream, a fantasy
To help me through reality
And my destination makes it worth the while
Pushing through the darkness still another mile
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see

- Abba

No comments:

Post a Comment